Disaster Relief Information



Disaster Loan Application

  • Businesses affected by a disaster should start by registering with FEMA. Businesses and non-profit organizations of any size may borrow up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website. On the regular SBA website follow the links for Disaster Assistance and Disaster Recovery Loans. For more information, call 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing)

Government Disaster Assistance

Contains numerous applications for various sources of assistance (temporary and permanent housing, food, information on disaster recovery centers).

Unemployment Insurance Benefits

If you are unemployed because of the disaster that began on Oct. 28, you should FIRST file for unemployment insurance benefits through the Internet. The Internet processes claims faster. However, if needed, people may file by calling Department of Labor’s Re-employment Call Center at: 732-761-2020.



  • Toll free Disaster Mental Health Helpline: (877) 294-HELP (4357). A TTY line is available for the deaf and hearing impaired at (877) 294-4356. 


  • Disaster Distress Hotline from the Mental Health Services Administration: Toll Free 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746


Kids & Families Coping Websites:

A collection of resources gathered by the CDC

A list of resources for talking to children about Hurricane Sandy from the NJ Traumatic Loss Coalition

Elmo talked about the hurricane

Sesame Street gets through a Hurricane


Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Call 1-800-621-3362 or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). The phone numbers will operate 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Saturday until further notice. Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

NJ Office of Emergency Management

Phone Number: 732-341-3451 for emergencies ONLY.


Monmouth County SPCA


Check here that your contractor has a current NJ License for Building Contractors, Plumbers, Electricians, etc. You might have to search both under a person’s name and the business name.


JCP&L Power Outage Map

Red Cross Power Outage Checklist


Birth, Death, Divorce, Marriage Certificate Replacement:

NJ Dept of Health Vital Records

The Office of Vital Statistics and Registry registers vital events and maintains the following vital records: 

  • Birth, marriage and death records back to 1901 
  • Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth data back to 1969
  • Civil union records back to 2007 Adoptions – foreign and domestic 
  • Domestic partnership records back to 2004 

Vital Records in New Jersey

Citizenship & Naturalization Papers Replacement:

N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document

Credit Card Replacement

Discover 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683), TDD 1-800-347-7449
Master Card 1-800-MCAssist (1-800-622-7747)
VISA Contact issuing financial institution or 1-800-847-2911

Drivers License Replacement

How to get a duplicate license

1. Visit any MVC Agency; follow these special instructions if you are out of the state for an extended period and unable to appear in person
2. Complete form BA-208 (call and ask for a copy)
3. Pass the 6 point ID requirements
4. Pay the $11 fee
5. Stolen licenses should be reported to the police.

Important Phone Numbers

NJ Motor Vehicle (609) 292-6500 out-of-state
(609) 292-5120 TTY(888) 486-3339 toll-free in NJ
Customer service available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Instructions to replace/renew NJ license while out of state

You can only get a duplicate license as a replacement if yours was lost, stolen or destroyed. You cannot drive until you receive the replacement license. Using it as a second or spare copy is prohibited. No driver may hold multiple copies of a permit.

Income Tax Returns:

IRS Request for Copy of Tax Return Form

Tip: You may be able to get your tax return or return information from other sources. If you had your tax return completed by a paid preparer, they should be able to provide you a copy of the return. The IRS can provide a Tax Return Transcript for many returns free of charge. The transcript provides most of the line entries from the original tax return and usually contains the information that a third party (such as a mortgage company) requires. See Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, or you can quickly request transcripts by using our automated self-help service tools. Please visit us at IRS.gov and click on “Order a Transcript” or call 1-800-908-9946.

Insurance Policies:

How to contact your local agent or company:

NJ Licensed Insurance Carriers

Motor Vehicle Insurers in New Jersey

Military Discharge Papers:

Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180)

From any office of the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Red Cross.

Mortage Papers:

Navigating Post Disaster Mortgage Issues

In the wake of a natural disaster, homeowners who may have also lost income often face the daunting challenge of making monthly mortgage payments on badly damaged, perhaps destroyed residences. Find out what to do if you can’t pay your mortgage. Includes information on SBA loans and mortgage and disaster insurance.

New Jersey State Bar Association:

Residents who cannot afford to pay an attorney can call the help line to request free legal assistance at 888‐541‐1900


Obtain instructions and complete Form DS-64

Statements regarding a lost or stolen passport.

Saving Bonds/Notes:

Complete Form 1048 – Claims for lost, stolen or destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds. For additional forms, go to: http://www.treasurydirect.gov

Social Security Cards:

Important: All documents submitted must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

You will need Form SS-5: Application for Social Security Card

Follow the step by step instructions.

OR call for information 1-800-772-1213 or TTY1-800-325-0778


Contact the attorney who prepared it. If circumstances have changed, a new will may be appropriate.

Social Media Weather Notification:

Jersey Shore Hurricane News

  • JSHN covers breaking news, traffic, and weather. “News you can use.” JSHN is also a community resource (events, missing people, lost animals, etc). Have an urgent tip? Email jerseyshorehurricanenews@gmail.com or text (908-565-4270)

Middletown Patch

  • Local online newspaper detailing current events in Middletown, N.J.

Text, E-mail and Phone Calls  Alerts:

Middletown Township Alerts & Notifications

  • Middletown Township website that allows you to sign up for weather-related alerts via text message, e-mail or phone calls. Registration required.



New Jersey Volunteer Emergency Response Hotline

1-800-JERSEY-7, backup hotline numbers: 609-775-5236 or 908-303-0471.


Thanks to the Ocean County Library for compiling much of this information.