At 8:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m.) a librarian will make the following announcement using the Page button on the telephone:
“Ladies and gentlemen: the Library will be closing in 30 minutes at 9:00 p.m. (5:00 p.m.)
Computers will shut down at 8:45 p.m. (4:45 p.m.). All information is automatically deleted when the computers shut down. Do not save information to the desktop; you must save to a USB drive or email yourself your files. USB’s may be purchased at the Reference Desk.
Fines will no longer be accepted after 8:45 (4:45), so please check out your items as soon as possible. Bathrooms will close at 8:55 p.m. (4:55 p.m.)”
If you need to call for a ride home, please go to the Children’s Help Desk or the Reference Desk immediately.
The Library will reopen on __________ at __________.
At 8:45 p.m. (4:45 p.m.) bring the envelope to Borrower Services and make the following announcement:
“Ladies and gentlemen: the Library will be closing in 15 minutes. If you wish to check any items out please proceed to the Circulation desk as soon as possible. The cash registers are now closed and we can no longer accept fine payments. Bathrooms will close in 10 minutes. The Library will reopen on __________ at __________.”
At 8:55 p.m. (4:55 p.m.):
“Ladies and gentlemen: the Library will be closing in 5 minutes. We will reopen on __________ at __________. Bathrooms are now closed.”
Checking the building
- Since Page announcements can only be heard in rooms with telephones, it is necessary for one of the librarians to make the announcement in the Teen Zone room, Group Study Room, New Jersey History Room, Quiet Reading Area, and the Meeting Room [Community Room]
- The librarians will be responsible for ascertaining that all members of the public have left the Adult Reference room. Circulation staff will check the public restrooms and the Meeting Room. Children’s Department staff will check the Children’s Room.
- Senior staff members should be aware of any unattended children in the library or waiting outside. Any children left unattended or waiting for rides should be asked to wait inside the building and senior staff members should follow the procedures outlined in the Unattended Children Policy in the staff manual.
- Fireplace: On days/evenings when there is no maintenance staff available and you wish to put the fireplace on, the key is on a turquoise wrist coil. The flat end of the key is placed in the box on the right-hand side of the fireplace. There is a switch inside very much like a light switch which must be moved to turn on/off. (Only the solid end should be used, in a downward motion from top of slot to bottom, to shut off the gas. At no time use the forked end as it will break the system.) Please remember to check the fireplace as part of the closing procedures and return the key to its basket in the office.
- In the event that there are no maintenance personnel available to close, the librarians in addition to being aware of any unattended children either inside or outside the building must also ascertain that all members of the public have left the building. In addition it is essential that all exit doors be checked; not just for being closed, but also to make sure nothing has been put on the door to enable someone to enter after hours. This includes the patio door.
- Reference department will be in charge of closing the main entrance door. For instructions, see below. As noted above, all staff should exit together through the staff entrance door.
- All staff should exit together through the staff door. Librarians are responsible for making sure that all staff members are leaving the building.
8 pm checklist
- Check doors by the loading dock, make sure they are locked.
- Make sure patio door is locked (use the staffroom key, or the one labeled ‘patio’).
- First announcement at 8:30 pm (Fri. & Sat. at 4:30 pm)
- Second announcement at 8:45 pm (Fri. & Sat. at 4:45 pm)
- Take Printing money up to cash register.
- Walk through the reference areas and remind people that we are closing shortly
- Last announcement at 8:55 pm (Fri. & Sat. at 4:55 pm)
- Make sure everyone is out of the bathrooms
- Encourage patrons to check out
- Lock the main doors at 9 pm (make sure everyone is out)
- Shut off the lights. Make sure the lights are off in the Community Room.
Set alarm (door must be closed when setting alarm). Once beeping starts, exit the building.